Sunday, January 31, 2010

117-41

I have reached the first of two large battle sequences.  There was supposed to be three, however, what was considered the third just may be an extension of the second.  I'm taking a breath to plan this out properly, but not stopping from writing, just thinking about the flow...which I sort of have, just got to make it concrete.

I'm on page 117 (of the last 150 pgs), and just hit chapter 41.  How long could this seen last (an average chapter being 10-20 pgs)?  Could be long, depending on the buildup to the action.  Action sequences are never long to write, unless the battle is extremely intense.  I remember when I re-wrote a battle scene that was written in the 10th grade of High School for a book called '7'.  Originally, the fight was a simple two pages.  When I re-wrote the scene (in college) the sequence became extended,  Gods, Goddesses, armies marching.  It was intense.  I looked to a scene in the animated movie Fist of the North Star for inspiration.  The scene went from a flimsy couple of pages to about 8 ... with smaller size font.  With this battle, there will be a cooldown period where we see some characters form a relationship.  Gotta make that shit believable.  There's a female character that the book begins to conentrate on, the character being showcased through out the story, but we get to see her in a new light.  Upclose and deadly.  The chick is bad.

I've finished a short chapter, which took a while to write because of editing.  I do believe that a powerful scene with a particular characters confrontation with his own actions has been put together.  As we wind down, there will be more intense scenes, more revelations and twists, and a lot of people acting out violently.  All the proper ingredients for the comedy that I'm writing.

So, 450 page count?  Doubt it.  Again, not gonna throw much of a tantrum should I hit 475.  And again, there will be page loss when converted to the proper book dimensions.  Over the next two weeks, editing and writing will run parallel.  Early March is the projected release date.  Starting to hate the fact that February is so short.

b write black.