Friday, October 16, 2009

Digital

Saw the Rza last night at Barnes and Noble. He was promoting his new book, The Tao of Wu. He didn't talk long, and because my boy wasn't able to go with me, I wasn't able to meet him. I do know that the Wu have seen my lectures and loved 'em. That's cool. 2 dudes at the event recognized me as a lecturer. But Rza spoke for maybe 15 minutes, answered questions for 10, and then moved to book signing. I didn't get a book. Thumbed through it yesterday while at the store. It's cool. I like his Obama breakdown toward the end of the book; he uses supreme math to really decode the significance of Barack Obama's presidenecy. Deep.

Almost too deep.

Some of the people in the audience were just there to ogle, but the few jewels he did drop meant nothing. That was kind of sad. But he's an extremely intelligent cat. I know he's read The Ronin Poetz and loved the fact that Wu were characters (or, a reference to them as the 36 Staten Fiends). I was fortunate enough to meet Old Dirty a couple times before his passing. That guy was maaaaaaaad deep. And he helped put a lot of cats on the right track. People get caught up in the persona he displayed, but Old Dirty was a 'drunken master'. His personality aligned with that style of fighting. He looked unasuming, drunk, tipsy, but it was all a cover for how deep he was. It was a mask to disguise what he was doing behind the scenes. A real Code-47. Of course I'm gonna reference my book. One thing I like about Code-47 is that, much like The Curse of Cain'an in 12 Stories High, conscious (sometimes perceived as millitant black people) are the heroes to the story ... and are not showcased within the stereotypical fashion of a loud black person just angry at the world.

My boy is on the phone with Gza. A real Wu meeting is being scheduled.

Code-47 in effect.

b write black.