Tuesday, December 15, 2009

All in Budget

The second 150 pages is finished. It is exactly 150 pages, minus, as the last page is not a full page. It did not end with the wedding between two characters, but a chapter before. This is far more appropriate. I would like to begin the final (hopefully) 150 pages on a festive note. It will be a fun chapter to write.

All the politics have been laid out for the final act. I went back-and-forth between revealing the antagonist's plans, or hinting at them -- I wanted to show, early (by way of two of the antagonist's co-conspirators) how the main villain plans to manipulate the growing politics. But I've decided to save that for an early chapter of the third act. I don't want it to be this big reveal. The best spun tales of intrigue can be demeaned by the reveal. So, it will be simple. Nonchalant.

I'm hoping the next two chapters, part of the third act, will be simple to write. Also, I hope they are short. There is a lot ahead, and I cannot even think of resting. Hopefully, by January, the first two chapters will be complete. The editing has not yet begun. That will happen around Christmas.

The book is 305 pages, 8 x 11. As the proper 5.5 x 8.5, the book clocks in at 294 pages. That is awesome. I'm 6 pages below 'budget'. I jotted down the events for the final act. There are ten major plot points. We shall see if this can be done within 150 pages. This time last years I was getting all three people that read this blog caught up with my writing career. There were 4 entries. 365 days later, we're in the midst of it poppin' out another book.

How many people didn't think I'd be here?

Be honest...

b write black.