Thursday, September 24, 2009

Writing is funny

I'm still hoping the book doesn't get too long. I'm also hoping that in consolidating plot points that I'm not cutting corners to the point where I'm trimming too much off. The chapter I'm on now is an exercise in just letting the length be. It's not even that long. It's (so far) 12 pages (when I wanted 10). It'll probably end up being 15 pages. That's not bad. There's a lot of emotion that needs to be built up between one character and his family. It also goes into backstory that saves me the trouble of having to summarize it elsewhere.

I can continue the story once this chapter is finished. After the first major story arc, the following chapters have been a setup for the rest of the book. So they were far more than I expected. The small little plot points are on the horizon. December 2009 and February 2010 are still at odds, bidding on when this book gets released. I'll know a little more come mid-October, which is basically just around the corner. I'm still trying to hammer out a reason for one plot line. I don't want it to be forced.

Despite all the hard thinking and the fingers bleeding from heavy typing, I couldn't be more happy with finally writing this book. It started off as scattered ideas consolidated into notes and some form of coherency. That was Spring 2006. Now it's in the process of being written AND ultimately released.

b write black.