Sunday, December 21, 2008

Trials of a Ronin Poet (prt. 1)


Putting The Ronin Poetz together for hardcover publication got me to remember all the madness that happened eight years ago when it was first completed. I still have the rejection letters from publishing companies about The Ronin Poetz. The letters were interesting. From Black companies, they wished me well in finding a publisher and my career. But they all stated that the concept was too heavy for them to publish. I appreciated the honesty. One publishing company really loved the story and wished they could take it on. But they admitted they were too afraid of the piece’s commentary. When I skim through The Ronin Poetz, it’s actually tame. There are a lot of tongue-and-cheek moments, cutesy and a little corny, sing-songy rhyme—all in fun, amidst the backdrop of heavy commentary. There also are a lot of pop culture references and citations. I use ‘lightsaber’ with no apology. But that’s just the zeitgeist. After all, some of the inspiration was Wu Tang Clan (as they have a guest ‘appearance’ at the end as the 36 Staten Fiends)

Oh, well. It’s out now.

Thank you DCP (DaChosen Publishing) for taking the risk.

Oh, well. It’s out now.

Thank you DCP (DaChosen Publishing) for taking the risk.