Monday, December 15, 2008

My Hypocrisy Knows No Bounds

This is the list of stories and a brief ‘synopsis’ of 12 Stories High. This is not what the stories are about, but what inspired them. I know I said I wouldn’t go through story-by-story but … re-read the title.

1) And Once Just Walked Us – This was inspired by an event in my life when I was eight or nine. I attached the event to the main character of Code-47, Keith Joseph. What he describes is how the event actually played out. The museum setting was inspired by a scene in a movie (I forget which one. Maybe it was South Central, not sure) where a father takes a son to an ‘African-American’ exhibit. The scene is silent as the child looks in wonder and awe and what his father points out. I could only think, Indoctrination at an early age! You will be a slave! That’s all you’ve been!

I make no apologies for being an uppity, thinking nigger.

2) Still Remains – I’ve said enough about this. Can’t say too much more without giving away the twist.

3) Vicariously Alive – Continues the commentary made in Still Remains on the essence of the Black woman. This just has a detective-noir flow. The sequels to this story were cut from the final book. The second is written; the third is still in ‘notes’ phase.

4) Tales of the Djedhi – Was inspired by events concerning a friend of mine who stole an amazing book on African history from the library. It’s combined with actually history about the fleeing of Egypt once the land was taken over by foreigners, and the dispersion of knowledge. The title is a play on the Star Wars comic title Tales of the Jedi. The Djedhi Kephri were the guardians of sacred knowledge in Egypt and Nubia. They were a warrior-priest/priestesshood. The story also makes a hint at the origin of Tarot cards.

5) Headless – Based off of a 1996(-97) screenplay of the same name. The challenge was turning a 128 page screenplay into a ‘short’ story. This story was added late. I wanted to explore the horror genre. Headless is a commentary on race, class, and religion vs. spirituality. The relationship between the slave girl and her master (seen in flashbacks and dreams) was inspired by the true story of Sally Hennings’ relationship with Thomas Jefferson. Trust me people. It wasn’t that romantic shit you see in the movies. I beg you to do a li’l research.

6) Ah, Moor – This was a story for a friend who didn’t believe in her own beauty.

7) I Wish Servitude – Inspired by a story I revamped over and over since high school. The story saw different time periods, even worlds. I settled on 1518, North Africa. There’s a 1001 Arabian Nights feel about a young man who is granted the power of a djinn (genie). But the social arrangement of the North African Moors, the turmoil in their community, and the invasion of white Turks and the French is a reflection of modern times. I also wanted a story where the woman saves the man.

8) 3 Cigs United – Everyone’s guilty pleasure of a short story. This took the place of a short story titled Office Politics. This was originally supposed to be a short film (5-10 mins). It was conceived while listening to the Patsy Kline song 3 Cigarettes in an Ashtray. I was walking the French Quarters in New Orleans; the song was on my iPod. I wanted a Tarantino feel to the scene. The twist at the end … I found funny. And so did a lot of people. Guilty pleasure indeed.

9) The Monk and the Moor – Symbolic of the ‘old guard’ and the old school hoods. Two war-chiseled veterans, a Chinese monk, and an aged Moorish soldier battle with a secret Vatican army of knights while protecting a beautiful African songbird.

10) Freezing Reign in Summer – Another late addition to the book, and an exclusive. No re-write of an older story or screenplay. A Black Western where I wanted the violence to outshine the plot. Plot? Simple. Revenge. Overview? Some things do need to be stopped in order to continue a strong, Black community. The main character, named Logan Stanford was originally named Keith Joseph. I applied the latter moniker to the main character of Code-47.

11) Waiting for What? – This was an anecdote about Jesus that I would constantly use in my lectures. I made it a short story.

12) The Curse of Cain-An – Inspired by a videogame series titled The Legacy of Kain, I set out to give ‘militant’ or ‘conscious’ brothas a superhero. Cain is more of an anti-hero. What he does with his powers is sinister, but every Black person would love to have them. Cain is relentless, and when he is called a villain he simply replies, “That will be debated for years to come.” And surely it will.

Those are the 12 that made the cut. I hope they’re sharp enough to scalp ignorance, and hard enough to break shackles.

N-joy.

12 Stories High: The Imaginative Trip Thru a Black Mind