Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Trials of a Ronin Poet: It is the year 2005…

Let’s finish this story. Where was I?

My concentration became more focused on lectures throughout 2004 and at the beginning of 2005. But, the circuit crumbled because of egos, and remains in shambles to this day. The summer of 2005 made me re-think my direction. DCP moved to Atlanta. I followed, not knowing that Atlanta is a hard place to find an editing job. In the meantime, DCP and I reworked The Ronin Poetz. I added the prologue and split the poem into five acts (each Act is cleverly named after segments found in the second epic poem.) DCP made a deal with worldwide distributors and another printer to cut costs. Despite what sounded like good news, there was continual drama in DCP. I walked away as a contributing author, but stayed as an editor, eventually becoming freelance. I returned to New York. I was able to continue business through my own company, Ancient-Art-of-Facts, which was established in late 2002.

After failed attempts to secure an Artist-in-Residence post at a Historically Black College or University, I decided to toss aside my lecture series (and books reflecting the material) and catch up on creative writing. 12 Stories High was the focus. It was outlined in the summer of ‘05 and work began in October 2005. The book was released in spring, 2006. I was terrified about the cover, trying to get the pagination correct to fit the book for the printer. It came out wonderfully, on point. The operation to put 12 Stories High together was a success. I learned a lot from watching DCP grow and was able to smooth the business process out by knowing what not to do. Simple Internet advertisement pushed the book, and I was very surprised at the reception. Radio interviews and Internet podcast interviews pushed the book. Even with no book signings, 12 Stories High was still pushed well. Thank goodness. I needed the few dollars the book earned.

12 Stories High still suffers from some editing issues, and the cover needs the re-vamp. But it was just me. Now, with a small team, a re-work is underway.

It only took 2 years.

B write black. So stay write, black.