Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Wind Down

A major battle sequence has just been finished.  I actually finished the battle last night, and throughout this morning (when time permitted), I have been re-editing it and also finishing chapter forty-four.  I really enjoyed writing these past few chapters.  One of the main protagonists got a lot of page time.  He was center stage.  He's sort of been in the background, and there was a plot line initially written (3 years ago) to have him leave the story.  That was not only switched around at the last minute, but so were love interests.  He is with another character, and the man that was supposed to be with that woman is with another.  It works out so much better.  But I'm glad that this character, named Ojodo Yerodin, got heavy page time.  Ojodo is a titan.  He's a big guy, but of course, he's a teddy bear (when he's not mauling people like a black bear).  Ojodo is a dramatist, a playwright.  And though he finds himself in many adventures, he yearns to write the ultimate adventure.  He is a philosopher whose appetite for knowledge is insatiable.  In chapter forty-four he pushes that aside to help lead a major battle, and, earlier in the book, he has one of my favorite lines.  Not only has keeping Ojodo Yerodin around made me switch up his love interest, but he has also made me present him as the 1st major character that I have spoken about.  I was supposed to speak about another.  Perhaps later, when the moment's right.  That's what writing is anyway.

So, the book has got some extra pages than planned.  Yeah, I'm over budget.  I don't care.  I'm looking to just tell the story.  The good news is that the end of this battle marks the beginning of the end of the story.  The last act is upon us.  From here on out there will be nothing but big reveals, twists, surprises, more deaths, and a climax between protagonists and antagonists.  It's February 16th.  Looking at the calendar now, I can guess-timate that finishing this book mid-march.  Editing is happening side-by-side.  My editors are goin' crazy.  We got the weekends to converge and talk about thangs.  So all that needs to be done is applying the edits, putting the various documents together as one whole, copyright the book, assemble the final look of the cover, and send it to the printers.

All in a daze work

b write black.