Monday, December 27, 2010

In Gear

I really love workin’ on Otha People Newz. It brings a particular balance within my own work that I don’t get if I have too much free time. Other people complain about having a job. Not me. Dedicating my time, carefully and professionally, to people that need my services (editing and proofreading), allows me to appreciate the free time I get, and use it to my best advantage. Now, everything is in gear, and the Ancient-Art-of-Facts machine’s motor is heating up. A lot has happened in the last several days.

First off, a new Enlightenment Teaser was posted on Monday, and it has stirred up a lot of interest in the second Epic Poem: 2 Enlighten The G.O.D.Z. One last teaser is ready for next week, and then begins The Imaginative Trip Campaign, which will focus on (of course) the re-release of 12 Stories High, coming in February. There has already been a very long, long book trailer for 12 Stories High. I like it, but, as I said, it’s long. I mean, there are 12 Stories to feature. So, I re-created the campaign a bit by focusing on individual stories. There will be 5 teaser trailers. One trailer will feature 3 stories, something known as the How To Resurrect A Black Woman Trilogy. These stories are related only in theme. So, it makes them an ‘unofficial’ trilogy. The campaign will take us into February with the re-release for 12 Stories High.

The remaining bit of news that I’m excited for is that I’ve begun work (outlining only) on my next writing project.  This project will be a series, and it will last approximately 3 ½ books long. Lol. I’ll get into what the ½ is about…much later. The first book in this series was at first not attached to the rest of the work. It was completely separate. And it was a story I so much wanted to express. It has gotten many revisions, and even started off as a screenplay that I wrote back in the summer of 2001. I only got about twenty or so pages into the screenplay, but I have notes.

When I was outlining what works would be released when, I had this particular story separate from a very jumbled, wishful thinking, ambitious project and story told through a series of works. But before combining this new work with this larger story, it was combined with another project. That’s when the project showed life, but the two projects (the stories and the series) were still separate from one another, and continued to go back and forth on the debate to combine this story to the larger series. I’ve spoken about it before. I didn’t want the intensity of this story, and its characters, to get bogged down with the responsibility of projecting the larger story. I didn’t want the characters, and their purpose to get lost, and this project is ambitious by itself, even before combining it to a greater series.

However, this was all supposed to be put together. There was a hole in the series, and that hole was basically a character that, although we don’t see, has a great influence on the rest of the series. It was easy to substitute that particular influential character from the greater series into this new writing project, and it doesn’t change the flow or vibe of the story. The story’s importance has become greater, and the intensity and drive of the characters has been amped up. The villain’s purpose has become more dangerous, and the consequences of her actions more detrimental (to her victims and her overall plan). Now that this story has been added to the series, has its own tweak, the outlining is going very well, putting together the backstory for the main characters to work through.

I’m not sure when the actual story writing will (officially) begin. I have started the first paragraph of the first chapter. Lol. I’m thinking around April or so. Birthday.

Too much fun.

Even with all the drama.

b write black